[William Carlos Williams (1883-1963) - Photograph courtesy the Yale Collection of America Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library]
September 17 is William Carlos Williams birthday. Williams has been featured pretty extensively on this blog (not the least as the focus of a whole lecture series by Allen -
"Mind, Mouth and Page" - here's the first episode.
We cordially invite you to follow along with the entire lecture series (check out, for just a few examples, here, here and here)
Here's a few of the other Williams postings that you might have missed:
- our initial Williams' posting - "Spiritual Poetics"
- Allen's 1975 William Carlos Williams Naropa class
- our 2012 Williams birthday posting
- William Carlos Williams's "Thursday" (meditation)
- how could we forget the "Plums"?
- and "Young Sycamore" ("this is one that some of the painters like")
- and we love to tell this story!
We've featured this footage before - but , why not? - here it is again (from the 1988 PBS series, "Voices and Visions", after some brief words from Williams' friend (and publisher), James Laughlin, Allen [audio only] reading from Spring And All
There's much more Williams here. We've randomly selected the following - the complete recording of his 1945 reading at The Library of Congress - but it's all great!