Monday, October 15, 2012

Trungpa and Allen..and Gregory! - 5

[(left) Gregory Corso, NYC May 1986,  (right) Chogyam Trungpa, Rinpoche, Boulder Colorado, April 12, 1985.  Photos by Allen Ginsberg. c Allen Ginsberg Estate]


Student:   Rinpoche, why do you write poetry?

Chogyam Trungpa:  Well, I think just to simply...

Gregory Corso: Because he wants to be like me - famous! - and Allen. He wants to get into the poetry racket, that's what he wants to do.

Student: Let him answer it.

Chogyam Trungpa: I think I write because some situation is created  to put things down which doesn't make any sense but usually it's kind of some notion of a celebration

Gregory Corso: That's a nice word, "celebration". That's a goodie. I love you, man.

Chogyam Trungpa: Thank you

Gregory Corso: Alright. That's all. I have a ball when I write poetry. I never write when I'm unhappy.

Chogyam Trungpa: Sometimes I do, too.

Gregory Corso: That's why I don't write much.

Chogyam Trungpa: But you celebrate your unhappiness?

Gregory Corso: Celebrate unhappiness?

Chogyam Trungpa: Yeah, or boredom, for that matter..

Gregory Corso: Boredom?

Chogyam Trungpa: ..which is a great thing..

Gregory Corso: I don't know boredom. I don't know loneliness. I know alone-ness. See?

Chogyam Trungpa: Yeah

Gregory Corso: And I dig being alone. 'cause that's where poetry comes out - for me, anyway.      You're sweating, both of you.  Am I sweating too?

AG: Just from my fingers.

Gregory Corso: Oh good God, it's (just) like Nixon! - Shit! - Why don't you have a..whaddaya call it?..air-conditioner here, Rinpoche?

AG [to Trungpa] - Do you want to open it up?

Chogyam Trungpa: Yeah

AG:  Can we open it up to...other students..

Chogyam Trungpa: Sure, why not?

Gregory Corso: I think I'm in a high-class joint (here). Okay, it's open

AG: Yeah, it's open, 'cause there's a million poets in the room. There's Diane (di Prima), there's Bill Merwin

Gregory Corso: Oh yes, Billy's here

AG: Anne (Waldman)'s here - and then there's all these poetry-writers

Gregory Corso: Is that sexy poet-ess here? what's her name? Kyger?..where's Kyger?

AG: Is Joanne here?

Student: No, she's getting ready...

AG: Yeah, she's getting ready to give a reading..

No comments:

Post a Comment