Thursday, October 11, 2012

Trungpa and Allen..and Gregory! - 4

























Gregory Corso: Now, here's the three of us, one line, one verse ("verse" means one line in a poem that you think is your top shot). I'll give mine, he'll give his, you give yours, and see if it means anything.

Chogyam Trungpa: Well usually I don't memorize my poems.

Gregory Corso: I don't either but I know one line.

Chogyam Trungpa: Okay.

Gregory Corso: You know one line?  He [turning to Allen] made it with "I saw the best minds of my generation.."

AG: That's not my favorite line.

Gregory Corso: It's not his favorite, but it's a goody.

AG: Yeah, (but) wordy!

Gregory Corso: Alright, I'll give my line and see if it inspires you to give yours.

Chogyam Trungpa: Okay

Gregory Corso: (It's, talking about the Parthenon) - "the world's most beautiful flaw"

AG: The line that occurs to me is - "Fate tells big lies"

Chogyam Trungpa: Fake?

AG: Fate.

Chogyam Trungpa: "Fate tells big lies", yeah. Yeah. I don't remember any of my lines.

Gregory Corso: What if you remember anybody else's? Milarepa? - I'll give one of Tom Nashe [sic]. 

Chogyam Trungpa: I don't remember them either... I don't remember right off hand..

Gregory Corso: So poetry sucks in a way, it really does. It's an egotistical thing, you write, and all you want to do is go there and do goodies, and you're getting your rocks off, but it does lay on something to other people, it really does. They see - "ah, I understand that" - like William Burroughs says, "you can't  tell anybody anything thy don't already know" (that's why they say, "I understand").

No comments:

Post a Comment